What if we told you that choosing to live a healthier, sober lifestyle didn’t mean giving up your favorite type of beer? You’re probably thinking…too good to be true. We’re here to show you that it’s not!
In the coming paragraphs, we’re going to unveil the best non alcoholic alternatives to beer. You’ll find your new favorite evening (or afternoon - after all, there’s no alcohol in these beer replacements) beverage. Whether you prefer IPAs or lagers, pilsners, stouts, or anything in between - we’ve got a non alcoholic beer alternative just for you down on our list below.
First, we’re going to provide a general overview of alcohol-free beer. Keep reading to gain a better understanding of what you can expect from these substitutes for beer.
Why These Alcohol-Free Substitutes for Beer are a Worthy Replacement
If you came here hoping to find beer substitutes, you’re in the right place. And simply abstaining alcohol isn’t the only reason to ditch traditional beer in favor of their alcohol-free alternatives.
The health benefits of choosing to live a sober lifestyle are vast - as demonstrated in our article discussing the health benefits of non alcoholic wine. Many of those same benefits are enjoyed with any sort of non alcoholic beverage - including these substitutes for beer. As a bonus, there are societal and lifestyle benefits to be enjoyed, too!
Maybe you just want to enjoy a few heavenly, hoppy pops after work - without it affecting your sleep or your productivity the next day. Even if you don’t feel hungover, the lingering effects of alcohol can dramatically interfere with your day-to-day life. With these substitutes for beer, you can drink your favorite without having to worry about driving later on, or other responsibilities you have.
The point is, there are countless reasons to try non alcoholic beverages such as these non alcoholic alternatives to beer. But, you may not be sold quite yet…are they really going to pass the taste test? The answer may surprise you - let’s talk about what you can expect in taste, flavor, and effects.
What to Expect From These Non-Alcoholic Beer Alternatives
Many who have never actually tried a non alcoholic beer alternative scoff at the idea. There’s no way they can mimic the flavor, aroma, and feeling of a traditional beer…can they?
You’d be sorely mistaken if this was the assumption you had.
The non alcoholic alternatives to beer we’re going to share with you in the next section perfectly mimic your favorite type. The only thing lacking from these concoctions is the ABV. So, you may not feel as much of a “bite” in the back of your throat on the swallow. Interestingly enough, this is part of the reason many people love alcohol free alternatives to beer: certain styles become more drinkable.
In the following beer replacements, you’ll experience the same great taste, froth, and aroma of traditional beer. And when drinking these substitutes for beer in social circles, you may feel your inhibitions lower a bit despite the zero-ABV. You can thank the placebo effect for that!
With all that said, you’re probably itching to try some of these beer substitutes, so we won’t hold you in suspense any longer…
What are the Best Non Alcoholic Alternatives to Beer: Replacements That Actually Taste Great
We’re going to unveil the best non alcoholic alternatives to beer based on your favorite type. From IPAs to lagers, stouts, pilsners, and even ciders - we’ve got it all!
You’re sure to find your new go-to beverage with dinner - or for winding down before bed. There’s never a bad time for these non alcoholic beer replacements. Let’s start with a few of our personal favorites, as self-proclaimed IPA connoisseurs:
Best Non Alcoholic IPAs
The hoppy complexion and unique, robust flavors that makeup IPAs have earned this style favor with beer lovers around the world. And, this is our personal favorite - which is why we’re so excited to share our favorite non alcoholic IPAs with you:
- Athletic Brewing - Run Wild IPA: this brewery was founded on the premise that great brews and a healthy, well-lived life are not mutually exclusive. And this particular concoction offers a timeless balance of malt and hops that perfectly embodies what we love about IPAs. It’s clean, crisp, and full-bodied - and it should come as no surprise that it’s won awards for years. You’ll understand upon that first sip.
- BrewDog - Hazy AF IPA: while we love the classic India pale ale, our tastes fall more in line with hazy IPAs in particular. And that’s why we have to introduce you to this one. Unfiltered, hazy, and fruit-forward, this beer immerses you in a hoppy, tropical, and juicy experience you’ll want to enjoy again, and again, again. Everything you expect from a hazy IPA without the drawbacks of ABV.
Best Non Alcoholic Stouts
Are you looking for something to enjoy in the wintertime? Nothing pairs better with the cold weather than kicking back with a nice, dark stout by the fireplace. If you’re a stout aficionado, these are on rotation in the fridge year-round. And now, you can try a non alcoholic counterpart that allows you to enjoy a glass guilt-free. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Grüvi Mocha Nitro Stout: This is the very first alcohol-free nitro beer on the market - and it’s quickly becoming a favorite in the NA beer community. It offers a uniquely smooth yet full-bodied. You’ll get tangible notes of coffee and chocolate - and the nitrogen infusion creates a creamy beer that pours like a dream. You’ll want to show this one off to all the other people in your life who love stouts - it’s that good.
- Bravus Brewing - Oatmeal Dark Stout: If you're a fan of Guinness, this non alcoholic stout is going to knock your socks off. It bears a striking resemblance to the classic dark beer, with hints of chocolate, caramel, and roast. It’s extremely smooth and delightfully refreshing - and just so happened to win the silver medal at the 2019 Great American Beer Fest. Just wait till you try it with chocolate desserts or soft cheeses!
Best Non Alcoholic Lager
Prefer lagers? We’ve got some delicious non alcoholic beer substitutes for you to try, too! The sweet, crisp, and mellow flavor of this style makes a perfect pairing for summer nights - or anytime you want something ultra-refreshing. Here are a few options you can’t go wrong with:
- Heineken 0.0 Premium Lager: this manufacturer makes Lager beer at its best…so you can trust that they’ve delivered with this 0.00 ABV substitute for beer. A perfectly balanced taste with fruity notes and a soft malty body is the ultimate refreshment. And, while you may assume they simply removed the alcohol from existing Heineken lager, that’s not the case. They started from scratch on this brew, and it shows. Give it a try yourself and see what we mean.
- Buckler - Pale Lager: if you’re looking for something that’s a bit paler than Heineken, this is the one for you. Imported from Holland, this lager pours a clear, straw-yellow color and offers a sweet, rainy aroma with hints of lemon grass and husky corn. It tastes sweet and offers a lingering tartness and metallic zing - reminiscent of what you’d expect from a traditional beer.
Non Alcoholic Ales
We’re going to share a few different types of ale replacements you can try, too. Whether you prefer darker amber ales or lighter golden ales - here are a few worthy considerations to start your journey into beer replacements:
- Athletic Brewing - Upside Dawn Golden Ale: this approachable, easy-to-drink golden ale is incredibly light-bodied and refreshing. It’s a classic choice - an ode to the traditional golden ale. And the truth is, you may not even be able to distinguish between this and the real deal - it’s that good.
- Grüvi Non-Alcoholic Pale Ale: there will always be a place in our hearts for the traditional pale ale. And, nothing captures the balanced bitterness of barley and hops we’ve come to know and love quite like this pick from Grüvi. It’s earthy and aromatic upon pour, and displays a gorgeous golden color with a foamy head - and the taste is remarkable.
- Bravus Brewing - Amber Ale: if you love Fat Tire, this versatile red amber ale is for you. It pairs incredibly with food - and makes a statement all on its own, too. It features notes of biscuit, raisin, and caramel upon taste. Aromatic notes of earthy and citrusy hops dominate your senses and are capped off by a clean bitterness you’ll absolutely love.
Best Non Alcoholic Ciders
Now - don’t get it twisted, beers are not ciders. And ciders are not beers. However, we see so many people lump these together that we’re going to share our favorite cider with you here as well - in case you’re interested in trying one of these as well. There’s one cider-maker in particular that continues to produce exceptional quality: Domaine Dupont.
The Jus De Pomme Pétillant Cider is crafted from apples that have been crushed and pressed. The end product is a perfect expression of cider. The magic of the fruit is preserved and the high-end bottling is a nice touch, too.
Taste These Non-Alcoholic Alternatives to Beer & See the What the Hype is all About!
There you have it - our favorite non alcoholic alternatives to beer. As you can see, the possibilities for beer replacements are endless - as these are just a few noteworthy considerations. You can discover your new favorite non alcoholic beer at Boisson - the best place to buy non alcoholic drinks online. We also have storefronts in New York City and LA for those who want to stop by and see us in person!
You’re just a few clicks away from getting your new favorite non alcoholic beer alternative delivered to your doorstep, so don't wait any longer! Explore the full selection at Boisson.